Diversity in Education. Developing Intercultural and Communication Skills
Internationalisation covers a wide range of contexts: receiving students from abroad, sending students abroad, teacher exchange programmes, international projects, as well as dealing with cultural diversity in the home classroom. This course is aimed at teachers and educators who would like to gain a better understanding of and develop skills for working with diversity in a range of educational contexts. The objectives of this course are to raise awareness of the influences of diversity on behaviour, coming from both culture and personality; and also to explore how to integrate this type of training into classroom activities for both staff and students.
John Paul II, Catholic University
“I really appreciate the course that I attended at ETI> It was perfectly prepared with a clear focus. Our classes were varied with different activities and everyone getting involoved. I learnt a lot both in terms of knowledge and skills” Read more..
Who is it for
This course is for teachers and educators who wish to develop their competences for participating in a range of activities for managing diversity in education, including:
- Teaching staff dealing with migrants and refugees in their home classroom
- Local students dealing with cultural diversity in their home classroom
- Migrants and refugees coming to live and work in western Europe
- Academic staff working on international projects
- Inputs about culture and intercultural competences, including soft skillspractice activities, including discussion, role plays and decision-making activities,
- To explore the topics and develop skills
- A final activity in which the course participants will present their plans for integrating the course content into their organisations
During this intensive practical course you will cover the following areas:
- Exploring the scope of diversity in education and the challenges of working with migrants and refugees
- Defining culture and developing intercultural competences with reference to working with migrants and refugees
- Exploring the link between culture and communication
- Exploring and developing soft skills, especially communication for the multicultural classroom
- Case studies to explore solutions to issues affecting diversity
- Preparing and practising presentations to show how to integrate the insights from the training into your institution
Learning is practical and task-based, involving both individual and group work, with practical feedback on your communication.
You will be encouraged to develop your own Personal Action Plan , highlighting which activities and resources you would be most likely to use in your own teaching programmes .
Click here for a full course description.
For more information please contact us.
By following this course you will:
- understand the challenges of working with diversity
- develop an awareness of culture and its impact on behaviour, especially communication
- explore solutions to the challenges of working with migrants and refugees
- improve your skills for working with culturally diverse groups
- gain practical ideas on how to apply different communication strategies in different cross-cultural contexts.
- develop a plan for integrating intercultural training into your institutions and classrooms
- develop your fluency and practise expressing yourself more confidently in English.
- This course will enable you to be both a better leader and participant in today’s international and multicultural world
- you will have access to ETI’s e-learning platform. This free e-Learning programme is available to you at registration and lasts up to 3 months after the end of your course.
This course is eligible for the Erasmus+ funding programme
Dates and rates
Course Dates for 2018
12 November – 16 November
11-15 Mar 2019
17-21 June 2019
11-15 Nov 2019
Duration: 21 hours per week
Course Fee: €350 + €100 Programme Fee
For closed groups, in-company training or more information please contact us
Click here to download a full course description
“Both training and materials exceeded my expectations. “
“Great experience. Professional, high standards. Thank you. “