Diversity in Education. Developing Intercultural and Communication SkillsETICoursesTeacher TrainingProfessional Development Courses
This 1-week course is aimed at teachers and educators working with migrants and refugees. The training aims to provide a better understanding of and skills for dealing with the challenges of diversity within education. More specifically, the course raises awareness of the influences of culture on behaviour, especially communication; and develops skills for managing diversity in the classroom. Finally, it explores how to integrate insights from the training into an institutional environment
John Paul II, Catholic University
“I really appreciate the course that I attended at ETI> It was perfectly prepared with a clear focus. Our classes were varied with different activities and everyone getting involoved. I learnt a lot both in terms of knowledge and skills” Read more..
Who is it for
This course is for teachers and educators who wish to develop their competences for participating in a range of activities for managing diversity in education, including:
- Teaching staff dealing with migrants and refugees in their home classroom
- Local students dealing with cultural diversity in their home classroom
- Migrants and refugees coming to live and work in western Europe
- Academic staff working on international projects
During this intensive practical course you will cover the following areas:
- Exploring the scope of diversity in education and the challenges of working with migrants and refugees
- Defining culture and developing intercultural competences with reference to working with migrants and refugees
- Exploring the link between culture and communication
- Exploring and developing soft skills, especially communication for the multicultural classroom
- Case studies to explore solutions to issues affecting migrants and refugees
- Preparing and practising presentations to show how to integrate the insights from the training into your institution
The training is conducted using cutting-edge technology such as Interactive Whiteboards. Learning is practical and task-based, involving both individual and group work, with practical feedback on your communication.
You will be encouraged to develop your own Personal Action Plan , highlighting which activities and resources you would be most likely to use in your own teaching programmes .
For more information please contact us.
By following this course you will:
- understand the challenges of working with diversity
- develop an awareness of culture and its impact on behaviour, especially communication
- explore solutions to the challenges of working with migrants and refugees
- improve your skills for working with culturally diverse groups
- gain practical ideas on how to apply different communication strategies in different cross-cultural contexts.
- develop a plan for integrating intercultural training into your institutions and classrooms
- develop your fluency and practise expressing yourself more confidently in English.
- This course will enable you to be both a better leader and participant in today’s international and multicultural world
- you will have access to ETI’s e-learning platform. This free e-Learning programme is available to you at registration and lasts up to 3 months after the end of your course.
This course is eligible for the Erasmus+ funding programme
Dates and rates
Course Dates for 2018
05 March – 09 March
18 June – 22 June
12 November – 16 November
Duration: 21 hours per week
Course Fee: €350 + €100 Programme Fee
For closed groups, in-company training or more information please contact us
Click here to download a full course description
“Both training and materials exceeded my expectations. “
“Great experience. Professional, high standards. Thank you. “